Forum

× Help Forum English

[ROADMAP] Custom fields custom type

• n3t
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #13929 by n3t
Hi,

is there any way how to add another type of custom field? What I would like to achieve, is to create custom field of type "Hikashop products", where user can easily select multiple hikashop products, which will be after displayed in event details.

Seems like basic fields types are hardcoded, so it could not be extended by some plugin, or am I missing something?

Also, do you plan to implement, or to migrate to Joomla 3.7 custom fields?

Pavel
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Lyr!C. Reason: [ROADMAP]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lyr!C
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lead Developer
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #13932 by Lyr!C
Replied by Lyr!C on topic Custom fields custom type
Hello,

Seems like basic fields types are hardcoded, so it could not be extended by some plugin, or am I missing something?

Well... this is a good idea! ;-)
Thank you! I will take this into consideration for future, as a simple process.
But it's almost already possible (for frontend registration form and admin) and will for frontend "Submit an event" form in a near future, by creating a custom plugin overriding the form xml file. ;-)

Currently, about Hikashop (or other extension) the only way i see is to use the "url" type, and then enter the full url to the hikashop product...

Also, do you plan to implement, or to migrate to Joomla 3.7 custom fields?

No. To be exact... not before a long time.
Custom fields for Joomla will be implemented only in 3.7 version of Joomla (and still some work to do!) but won't be available for older Joomla versions.
In the same time, the current custom fields system to be integrated in Joomla 3.7 will not full filled iCagenda needs.
My first wish is to improve the iCagenda custom fields system (but i will keep an eye on Joomla system, even contribute to it later, and see what the future will be and evolve! ;-) )

Best regards,
Cyril

Latest version : iCagenda 3.9.2
We recommend every user to keep iCagenda updated.
Don't forget to have your Joomla!™ up-to-date!

Do you like iCagenda?
I would appreciate if you could take 5 minutes to post a review on JED (Joomla Extensions Directory) .

File Attachment:

Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Lyr!C.

• n3t
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #13941 by n3t
Replied by n3t on topic [ROADMAP] Custom fields custom type
Hi,

I understand that, even from my point of view, you will save lot of work, if you move to Joomla 3.7 Fields.
Currently this limit could be bypassed by two ways,
- creating custom plugin using OnContentPrepareForm
- using DPFields (Joomla 3.7 fields predecessor)

In both case, however fields are rendered in Registration area, as the template renders all params fields (except frontend and options) there.
Would be great, that only specific fieldsets will be rendered there and all other will be rendered as separate pages so plugins can extend iCagenda easily with extended parameters.

Also, using DPFields there is small conflict in class name. DPFields uses standard Joomla function JCategories::getInstance, which, when called for com_icagenda, returns class icagendaCategories, which is expected to be descendant of JCategories, however in iCagenda it is just helper class. Maybe renaming this helper class would be usefull, not to make this conflict.

Or maybe, do you accept code submissions?

Pavel

• n3t
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #13942 by n3t
Hi,

one more note - I am not sure with Virtueamrt, however Hikashop provides content plugin to display simple order form for product, this the way I would like to go. I just want to make moderators life easier, so they do not have to remember the "moustache" syntax, and just click and select product... So displaying I will solve in my custom iCagenda theme.

Pavel

• Lyr!C
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lead Developer
More
7 years 2 months ago #13953 by Lyr!C
Replied by Lyr!C on topic [ROADMAP] Custom fields custom type
Hello,

I won't request user to use a third party extension to be able to create custom fields.

Custom fields system in iCagenda is integrated since 2 years now, and i have other improvements to add to this system.

In all cases, as for today and future functionnalities, Joomla system or DPFields can't handdle what is in iCagenda : core fields overrides of iCagenda. Not in the way it works.
And iCagenda is not using Joomla categories ;-)
For now, i won't rely on something just new and not yet full ready as custom fields in Joomla are (i follow Joomla issue tracker ;-) ), whereas iCagenda system for custom fields is there and already used by many users.

Best regards,
Cyril

Do you like iCagenda?
I would appreciate if you could take 5 minutes to post a review on JED (Joomla Extensions Directory) .

File Attachment:

• n3t
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #13956 by n3t
Hi,

I understand that, however not even with Joomla fields, DP Fields or iCagenda Custom fields you can handle everything. Sometime special plugin is needed. That is ok, iagenda handles all the events well, the only thing is, that template for event detail will render these additional fields in the registartion area, so its bit difficult to explain users to search for it there. My question was if it is possible to make this small change in the temlate file itself, so in registration area will be rendered only proper fields and all other fields will be rendered in options tab, or maybe better as separate tabs.

I know this could be solved by admin template override, however it it would be bit painfull to maintain with basic admin template.

Pavel

• Lyr!C
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lead Developer
More
7 years 2 months ago #13967 by Lyr!C

I understand that, however not even with Joomla fields, DP Fields or iCagenda Custom fields you can handle everything.

True!
But with iCagenda custom fields, i can see when needed to develop special form field type with specific usage, and not relying on a third-party system ;-)
If custom fields did have existed already 4 years ago, i will have used them. But it's not yet available (and no enough feedback to know if robust or not for a third-party usage when it will) so i will keep progress on Custom Fields (where all the main logic is done and working! I just have to extend it a bit more and by using Joomla core fields + Special ones i will create that do not exist in Joomla API ;-) )

That is ok, iagenda handles all the events well, the only thing is, that template for event detail will render these additional fields in the registartion area, so its bit difficult to explain users to search for it there.

I'm not sure to understand well this part... could you explain me more the difficulty you have there ? As i don't see what you mean by "search for it threre"

Thanks!
Regards,
Cyril

Do you like iCagenda?

File Attachment:

• n3t
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #13983 by n3t
Hi,

common way (or maybe the simplest one) how to add custom fields to some component is to create plugin, and in event onContentPrepareForm add some fields like this
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<form>
	<fields name="params">
		<fieldset name="myfields" label="My fields">
			<field name="myfield" type="text" label="My field" />
		</fieldset>
	</fields>
</form>
So the field value is stored to database field params, and you do not need to handle saving itself.

If I add fields like this to iCagenda, due to template file it wil be rendered in Registration tab. If you try to add fields for example to com_content it will render 'My fileds' fieldset as new tab with proper label.

Pavel

• Lyr!C
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lead Developer
More
7 years 1 month ago #14003 by Lyr!C
Hello Pavel,

Thanks for tip.

Myself, i already know this way since a long time ;-)
But creating a plugin is not easy for everyone, and the goal of Custom Fields functionnality is to able this possibilities for all users, with no coding skills ;-)

Best regards,
Cyril

Do you like iCagenda?

File Attachment:

Moderators: Lyr!C
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds

Follow Us

acymailing logo new

Create your Joomla templates with Template Creator CK